How to Remove Front seat Head Rests?

55

Asked by Aug 09, 2010 at 08:56 PM about the Ford Escape

The front seat head rest are too far forward. How can they be reoved to bend the arms then reinstall.

you may not be able to remove them,you dont really want to bend them,but if you must pull them up as far as they will go and push back on them.

55

In my 2008 JK Wrangler there was a release spot just out off sight below the collar that sits on the top of the seat. I was hoping the same was true with this 2008 Escape I picked up for the wife to run about. The bar only need to be placed in a vise and bent 5 to 10 degrees to make it not hit your head when you sit straight. Some one has had to remove their's by now.

yea they did away with the release button on todays vehicles something to do with safety,do you have bucket seats,try reclinging it back a notch or 2,it may help.

55

Thanks for the advice of reclining the seat a notch, but after 43 of driving with a straight back, and may just cut the head rests off. I will take the Escape to my local machanist - he will figure something out. Thaks Papa

DONT cut them off ,it is illegal,I am a inspection person for the inspection sticker,it will not pass inspection.

55

There is nothing in the Nova Scotia Motor Vehicle Safety Inspection Manual concerning Head Rests. There must be seat belts and a rear veiw mirror if it came stock.

4,275

There is a pinhole. You will need to insert and object while someone pulls up on the headrest.

Best Answer
55

Thank You Christopher.

110

This is what I did: On my 2011 Fusion, I replaced them with 2005 ford Focus headrests. On my 2012 Escape, I took the headrest out and replaced it backwards.

50

There is a Pin hole on one side of the headrest in the plastic base. You have someone put a small Allen wrench in the hole till it presses against the metal spring and also on the release on the other side, then pull the headrest out. You will have to press on the spring to put the head rest back in also.

40

2010 ford escape. There is a plastic blank on the other side of the plastic release button. Pry the clip out, and then you can remove the headrest, you have to tilt the seatback back, to get it fully out.

90

Just remove them and turn them around. That way they don't jut forward so much. We found the same issue and this has solved it.

30

There are two posts supporting the head rest. The post closets to the side window has the button you push in to adjust up and down. The posts closest to centre arm rest has a smaller button that you push to take the head rests completely out. Note you will have to recline the seat a little to prevent the head rest from hitting the ceiling.