Will it unlock when the transmission cools down? Seem to happen using OD

10

Asked by Jun 08, 2016 at 06:27 PM about the Ford Crown Victoria

5,625

there is a lot you left out here, mister..which lock...the lock which enables the OD? or the doors? anyways you did not say what the year was one can surmise that this is not a cop-car...a different transmission would be the case if this were it...BUT one might suggest that the Grouding of the battery to the motor block...and a second cable to the fender/chassis is full of corrosion and will not allow the amperage needed from your reduced capacity battery...the date...if approaching 10 years old is JUNK~ get a new one..New cables and wirebrush the connections (critical in the salt-belt)~ with the renewed voltage and available amperage your systems will behave normally~

10

It's an 89 Ford Crown Victoria someone said it could be the torque converter locking up

10

it's in really good shape and it's a low-mileage car I bought it with 51000 miles on it

98,565

Bill stick with the thread you started, it will keep everything in place and you won't be bouncing all over the web page. So on a Ford once they stick in lock up it is rare that they ever come out.

5,625

does it stall the engine when you come to a stop? it's not the torque converter...but you may want to check the transmission level....there are hash marks for hot and cold...add if necessary...do not overfill...might give you the apparent "lock- up" condition~ I could see how that might happen....think 51,000 what would wear out in that time...I tell you this is an electrical problem...make sure system grounds....to chassis and engine handle 40 amps (fat cable)~

5,625

the OD systems are Hare-trigger, and the brake pedal ...parking brake and going below a critical speed...one that is in third gear or more so the vehicle is going faster then 35 MPH it is Fussy and needs certain conditions to enable...so hardly think it goes willy- nilly setting you up...causing the crash...so that ain't it~

10

It was running fine I thought I felt the transmission slipping Overdrive. I pulled into my driveway and it just stalled put it in park try to start it and it started shut it off thought it might have been something like a neutral safety switch I put it into neutral it started up ran fine put it in any gear and it would kill it almost instantly I did get it to move a bit but not far before it shut off

5,625

just for kicks...see if the transmission mounts are solid...er not cracked~ that might account for this...electrical, is what I'm thinking but the mileage tells me that perhaps the parking brake was never used...the mounts become unhappy like that~

5,625

if it were a fuel cutoff, would just quit..and not show~ so perhaps you are onto something...electrically is not performing right..again the transmission and engine mounts come to mind~~ hope this may help you~

10

Thank you.