Problems starting 2005 Toyota Camry XLE

Asked by May 25, 2015 at 04:53 PM about the Toyota Camry

I am having trouble starting my Camry, and the very same thing happened about a year
ago. Back then, despite having it in the shop multiple times, and sometimes leaving it
with them for days, the car would never act up for them, and their tests showed no
problems, so nothing was ever fixed. And I kept getting stranded. Now it's "deja vu all
over again"!

Intermittently, the car will start to turn over, making all the correct sounds, except for the
actual "taking hold" sound. (There is definite noise, and it is not "clicking.") The battery is
not very old, and is testing out perfectly fine at multiple places, just like last year. And
yes, all the battery connections are clean and tight!

I have a portable plug-in starter at home, and occasionally that will start it, but more
often than not, I have to leave it plugged in for a couple of hours, then it will start
(usually). The reader on the charger starts out showing about 12.8, then goes to about
13.5 and then the car will start. Sometimes I get somewhere, get stranded, car won't
start, and I wait around hoping someone will jumpstart it (I always carry my own cables),
but sometimes no one will. Then I'll sit in frustration for a little bit, try again, and it starts!

This is a random and unpredictable situation. I may be able to start it once, then when I
go back out to use the car again later, nothing. I've gone many, many months without
this problem occurring again since last year when nothing was found and nothing was
fixed.

When I went to get the battery checked today (it was fine), the guy said a 2006 Toyota
Camry had just left and the owner had an experience virtually identical to mine. Her car
was left in the shop several times for several days; nothing happened. Car won't start,
but sometimes it will. Battery also tested fine.

60

It sounds like ur crank positon sensor is not working sometimes

If it was cps it would still turn over and crank. This is a hard one, to state the obvious. One suggestion: next time it won't start, take a jumper cable from battery post, the Black Neg--- side, disconnect battery cable and jump a cable directly from Neg- post to a good ground on chassis/frame. Maybe even two cables to two ground points. Just an experiment to see if it's a ground problem. If that starts it, the battery ground cable or connection to block-or both- is bad. You have to have a real good battery ground or this can happen....dissimilar metals contacting...copper to aluminum....can corrode with no visible signs.. and be intermittent .....not to mention it's hard to see the other end of ground from battery where it bolts to block.

41,295

If you find it still won't start with a double ground like Fordnut suggested, try holding the key to the ON position and shift back and forth from park to neutral. See if it will crank over. If it does, you have an intermittent Neutral Safety Switch.

IF this vehicle has a theft deterrent system on board...try using the 2nd.."extra" key for awhile. The key your using may have a bad chip in it. What color is the head of the #1 key? The #2 key?