How do you replace trunk latch cable on 1991 camry

10

Asked by Nov 30, 2014 at 09:44 AM about the Toyota Camry

Nipple on cable housing broke at latch end of housing

42,375

Well I have a 99 Camry, and I quickly checked it out. It looks like you will have to take out the front seat and peel up the carpet. The cable appears to run under the carpet. I couldn't find any cable running under the car. You will also have to dismantle all the plastic on the inside of the trunk where the latch is located. If you plan on fixing it yourself, you may want to find one in a salvage yard and do a little exploring on a junk unit before you tear apart your own. You can say you want a trunk cable. You can practice on that first. Then that way you will find out if you want to tackle it on your own.

Best Answer Mark helpful
10

Ya I will do just that! Better than messing up my car Thanks

10

Hi. I had this problem in my 2005 Camry Sedan. The cable had snapped. A simple fix that worked for me was to remove the driver seat, remove the bottom door frame cover to free up the carpet a bit, and then to unbolt the release mechanism, remove the latch ball and wire leaving the cable housing in situ. Next remove the trunk end cable portion. In my Camry it is not covered so easily accessed. Next I released the portion of the cable housing that was in the trunk lid - an easy exercise with minimal fuss in my case. This was to give me the straightest line possible for reinserting a new cable. I then bought some picture frame hanging wire for a few dollars. It is thin, strong, multistranded and stiff enough to be fed into the exisiting cable housing. The only thing then left to do was figure out a way to secure it at each end. (I fashioned the end of a rivet, by remving the pin and cutting it down and drilling a small hole to take the cable - at driver's end. Once fed through the hole I bent it back a couple of mm's and soldered it in place in the rivet housing once cooled i fitted it. The other end I anchored onto the boot release lever arm in the trunk, by temporarily twisiting it. This was to test it. I will attach it properly shortly. My main problem was finding the right wire. Picture hanging wire works perfectly. I'm sure this method could be applied to a wide range of similar situations where the cable housing is not a problem. It can simply be left insitu and a new cable pushed through the housing to replace the old cable. Voila!!