Expected life of 2006 Toyota 4R 4.7 V-8

Shelby Sherman

Asked by May 25, 2015 at 02:44 PM about the Toyota 4Runner

I have had this car for 9 years and have 96,500 miles, mostly highway. I stated in another question that I have just done brakes, rotors,F-R, struts, timing belt and one cover, plus plugs and oil.  This car has never towed anything, and has had oil and other fluids changed per factory recommendations.  I guess my question is:  How many miles can I reasonably expect to get out of this auto?  At what point (years) do peripheral items start to fail and parts become scarce?  I had this issue with a low mileage 1996 Toyota Camry that had a perfect engine, less than 100K, but I started getting killed with steering, electric windows, gaskets, axles, etc. and parts were horribly expensive, so I got rid of it even though the engine was perfect. Thanks for any insight.

Kelly Mayo

take care of your car and it will take care of you...preventive maintenance is the key! but- there are lemons.. as far as the big ticket items,engine,trans,diffs.,..i change all over to full synthetic and put a bottle of *water wetter^ in the cooling system....

Shelby, I am a Toyota guy through-and-through despite my username. I think they are the most reliable, dependable, hold re-sale value, in their price range and even above their price range and the 4Runner is no different. I think your Camry was an anomaly, except I have heard about oil-consumption problems on some. just some, not all, it's hit-and-miss. But your question is somewhere between difficult and impossible to answer. I study Toyotas, especially the Corolla. I have a 2006 and have had not one single thing go wrong in the 4+ years I have owned it, and service records show no major repairs done, in it's 9 year life (Built May 2006) and the one owner before me was meticulous with records. The worst thing happened is the hinge on the console lid broke. And that was probably me slamming it open too hard. Your 4Runner may be like that. Parts are available and will be for a long time, there are so many, only you won't find them in junkyards. 80% of Toyotas built since 1996 are still on the road. Don't! Ever! FLUSH! the transmission (assuming automatic) My opinion is your 4Runner is not yet half way through it's life-span. To use an analogy, it's 35 human years old. Who knows what will give?

Best Answer

Kelly's post was not there when I began to type. But he makes excellent points, every one. Mobil1 5W30 and a Mobil1 filter. Many people make the horrible mistake of paying for Mobil1 then putting a Fram on. And I hope you put in Denso iridium plugs.

Only thing I didn't see is serpentine belt. If you didn't, suggest you do. I changed mine @60,000. Side-story...I want to an oil-change joint that will remain un-named, I don't want to say anything about Jiffy-Lube. oops.. First thing they wanted to do was a transmission flush. "Oh, you really should have a flush or your transmission is in real danger of failure at any time"...then they said my serpentine belt was "showing signs of age and needs to be replaced" It was 3 weeks old. I drove out of the bay and went somewhere else before they could get my motor oil drained. One more thing....every month or so I take my cabin filter out and spray it with Febreze Fabric freshener. Works great

Kelly Mayo

hi,Shelby and FordNut.... once a month, i put * J baby oil * on the outside and inside of my tires.... religiously