so if a random misfire and a misfire on cylinder one pull up on one of them little computer what would that mean the guy there could not tell me anything but what he read off the little computer

Asked by Mar 20, 2014 at 10:56 PM about the Toyota 4Runner

i bought the truck with a blown head gasket the guy said he bought it with a miss the next day he drove around 60 miles the head gasket blew then i bought tore it down and had the heads done i got them back started to put it back to gather and lost track of the vacuum hoses and like a dim wit i got them backswords finally got it to were i think its  supposed to be but im not sure it will dive for a bit itanddo fine till dive about a mill then it jerks a little then a little less then real hard  and when it idles it around 400 rpms but  i hit the gas it will run like it is supposed to till it jerks this is my first time i have done this kinda work any kind of car

13,125

A random misfire code from experience is hard to pinpoint. Vacuum lines are extremely important that you get these correct. I would suggest that you find a diagram that gives you the layout. I'll throw some things out there that I would try. Clean or replace the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. There is a MAF sensor spray cleaner that can be purchased for under $10 at your auto parts store. DO NOT USE ANYTHING ELSE TO CLEAN THIS SENSOR. Clean or replace the EGR valve. Make sure your fuel delivery system is in check ex: Fuel filter, and pressure. Random misfire code is most likely a global problem which would have to do with your ignition or fuel delivery. Lastly, you could check the throttle position sensor. I've had bad throttle position sensors and bad MAF sensors which do funky things. Hope this helps, good luck.

Best Answer Mark helpful

thanks mark it dose now i have an idea instead of going at this blind

what would you recommend for cleaning the EGR valve with

13,125

Brake cleaner works well for the EGR valve. When it's unbolted from the intake manifold there is a thin gasket there. Try to save it :) There will be a vacuum diaphragm, similar to a plunger type assembly in the EGR valve. Make sure this is freed up and moves smoothly. In most cases there will be carbon build up and make the plunger stick.

13,125

I found a decent link if you want to use it: http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Your-EGR-Valve

thanx

13,125

You got it! Have fun and good luck!

I have an 02 4runner and Marc nailed everyone of my ? Tomorrow i am cleaning egr valve, my FZJ80 landcruiser had this issue. My 4runnr has gas fumes from rear left tire area, and the vape valve may fix that, my #5 cylinder misfire keeps going off, after all new plugs, coil packs and wires. I was told to take the K&N out of this, due to filter oil gets on MAF. This gives my a more focused area. Thanks Mark,