What year did Buick put a marine engine in the electra 225

Asked by Aug 20, 2013 at 08:34 AM about the Buick Electra

drove one in FLA back in the 80s always had carb trouble

Buick never put a 'Marine engine' in a car. Now some Buick engines were popular for marine use, the automotive engine was modified and used in boats, but not the other way around. They were very popular in the late 60's and 70's for boats, until the Ford 351Windsor was introduced in 1977. I don't know if it worked for GM engines but one of the most popular inboard boat engines was, and still is, the 351W but for marine application the engine turns the opposite direction, the crankshafts and some other things were modified for boats. The crankshafts are different because of the oil grooves must be "backward" the grooves on the crankshaft ends help push the oil back in to the engine, if a marine crank was put in a car or truck the grooves would actually push the oil out and the main seals leak like a sieve

OK,I drove a electra225 when I lived in FLA. It had headers and glass packs, a Rochester 2 bl carb. I was having trouble with. Powered by a big motor, don't remember why I thought it was a inboard prototype. Came with electric windows, bench seats with arm rest. and it was automatic. I am trying to find one, its really was a" land boat "

Yeah in the late 60's and 70's The Buicks had 400+cid engines ..genuine muscle cars when gas was 35ยข and we bitched about that