How much is a 72 Super Beetle not running worth

35

Asked by Apr 03, 2015 at 02:17 PM about the Volkswagen Super Beetle

I have an adorable 72 Super-beetle hot pink with white convertible top  to sell. It is not running, engine is frozen we think. We want to sell it "As Is" and don't know how to price it. Daughter's car and she never could reach the clutch very good so looking for something else.
Any help would be appreciated.
Posted a pic, just so you can get a general idea of it.

22,355

Yes, it's a great looking car for its age. Check out Craigslist and see what they sell for, then, subtract $2,000 for an engine. Does the transmission and clutch work OK? Also, you could just keep the car and drop in a Subaru 2.0 or 2.5-liter engine. That would make your car fly! Have you considered that, just a thought. Good luck.

35

Hi Mark, Thank you for the information. No, I did not even know you could do that with the engine " drop in a Subaru 2.0 or 2.5-liter engine". You make is sound so easy haha, so approximately how much would dropping in a Subaru 2.0 run me? As far as I know the clutch and trans. are fine. I would love to keep the thing I just love it but the driveway is pretty full with four drivers in the family. :) thanks

257,905

I'd say it's probably worth around $7K in current non running condition based on some guides. Approx. $10K would be in running condition. Price it high and let the bidders negotiate with you.

22,355

Well, first off, I would definitely recommend that you had this professionally installed. Depending upon the space and the coupling to your transmission it would be either the 2.0 or 2.5-liter engine. The 2.5- liter engine has 170 horsepower and 170 foot pounds of torque without any modifications like the WRX STI which has 305 horsepower. You wouldn't want 305 horsepower in a VW! So, you can see that the 170 would be more than enough. I've noticed that lots of people swap out their old air cooled engines for a Subaru flat Four. You will need a radiator and cooling system as it is not air cooled. That's why I would consult a professional. However, if you did that, you would have one very cool car and better than an old air cooled VW. I had an old 1970 and it was a slow pain with only 50 horsepower. As far as price, you'll have to look around and see what these engines are selling for, they're not cheap, but, you're going to have one of the fastest VW'S in your neighborhood. Really depends on how much and how badly you want to keep this car. Good luck.

22,355

Here you go, https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index? qid=20140228220033AA5rY6A

22,355

Even if you drop a new motor in this car, you'll never have the safety features like airbags, anti lock brakes, and other things like that. Plus, no matter how much money you put in an older car, even $10,000 or more, it will never be able to get close to 45 or 50 miles per gallon. Do you really want to go down that road? If you are doing it just because you like the car, that's one thing, but, it will take years before you get your money back, it is not a guaranteed investment.