rear wheel drive car axle problem ??

35

Asked by Jan 18, 2009 at 05:21 AM about the Pontiac Acadian

well i was doing burn outs in first in my driveway and when i put it in to rev i let off the clutch just a little to fast  and from what my friend said the tires went up and then slamed back down +and now it makes a weird noise what could be the problem and axle or my manual transmission 4 speed it ownly does it in rev that i can hear i do automotive in school can you give me some points on how to get the problem fix on a  ponatic acandin 1979 it is a great car other got it for $250 he was going to sell it for 700 to one guy but i hads the money first

1,175

sounds to me like it either axle wrapped really bad, and broke a spring/shock, or you broke/damaged a u-joint. its more likely to be the u-joint

2,040

First of all...you were DUMB! To beat on a vehicle that old, you got what you deserved! Having said that, your symptoms are vague and could be any one of multiple problems. BEST CASE, you damaged an axle, spring or shock mount. If that isn't it, you will more than likely pay more for diagnostics and repair than the car is worth. Also, repair parts for a vehicle that old will be difficult to locate and expensive. If you can't correct the problem yourself inexpensively, dump the car. Next time, consider consequences prior to your actions!

35

thanks for the informantion dude

35

first of all i know i was dum to do it in the first place and could the problem be in the transmission if it is ownly doin it in rev because it sounds like a grined sound

35

yes i am dum for doing but i am ownly a teen dude

35

i will check ok tanks budes

2,040

It's a possibility but I'd isolate where the sound is coming from. Get the vehicle on a lift and put it in reverse. Listen for the noise and locate it. Then you'll have better luck troubleshooting it. Like I said before, there are too many possibilities unless you isolate the noise.

35

ya i will proble take it to school after i get the front end back together i got to buy 2 new links for the sway bar they were going to go any day but they had to be replaced

35

take it to school and put it on the hoist and lift it in the air and check it out and some other things to while it is there

2,040

It's ILL ADVISED to buy anything for it until you determine where the noise originates from and what the repair cost is. Like I said, you may have to bail on the car; don't spend anything unless it a must.