Hi Everyone, The back story: I have a 2002 Pontiac Firebird base model V6 coupe which has an auto trans, ABS track control, & is a rear wheel drive car. I'm hearing a loud like rubbing sound coming I

995

Asked by Jun 24, 2015 at 11:07 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Firebird Base

Hi Everyone, The back story: I have a 2002 Pontiac Firebird base model V6 coupe which has an auto trans, ABS track control, & is a rear wheel drive car. I'm hearing a loud like rubbing sound coming I think from the rear of the car from starting out at 3 miles an hour to getting louder at freeway speeds like 65 & 75 miles an hour as I go faster it sounds more like a metallic metal whine sound. I just had new tires put on the car 1,200 mile ago & thought they might be the problem but went back to the tire store & turns out that the tires aren't rubbing & are in good shape? I just had the fluid changed in the trans & rear end & the car was looked at by a trusted mechanic and was fine before all this started but I have put like 1,200 miles on it since he looked the car over but just 500 miles ago this sound developed what could be this problem any ideas? Maybe wheel bearings/hub? Thanks ahead of time for your answer's.

5

Interesting. I also have a 2002 Pontiac Firebird Model V6 Coupe. I had a similar problem with this as well, after i had gained new tires. It took me a little to figure out where the clanging was coming from but it turns out it was coming from the storage compartment of the car- in the trunk where the spare tire and the jack are located. Turns out the spare tire was placed...crookedly (to say the less) and had knocked the jack into an awkward angle that caused it to bang against the car when i drove. Fixed the sound of the clanging- might possibly be your problem doesnt hurt to check it out. Otherwise I'm not too sure what the problem could be if the tires, break pads and everything else from your tires was placed correctly. Sorry if this wasn't the problem- good luck fixing your car.

5

oops, also meant to say to heck your U-bolts on the sway body mounts, ensure they are perpendicular and in the groove where they should be, also check anything with washers in the back, they could be loose and clanging (like a rattle, or a sound like a bunch of rocks are falling)! Sorry thought I wrote that part in there. Good luck again.

995

Hi thanks for your answer's on your first answer I'm pretty sure its tight but will check again about the spare tire. OK I will check for anything lose under there. The sound to me sounds like an 18 wheeler truck noise like a loud tire noise going down the road until you reach speeds above say 50 an HR then its more metallic & the tire noise too in addition so I'm not a mechanic but my first guess is the wheel bearings/hub but not sure??? HeLP!

5

If you feel that its the wheel bearings/hub I would suggest you get that checked! See if you can get in touch with another mechanic that can check out the back end of your car- sometimes its best to get a second opinion. Anywhoo everything I listed/stated in my first two answers are all I can think are wrong!

995

Thanks will do :)

89,885

Sounds like Bearings to me...

217,315

Wheel bearing is the probably cause, if it's that loud, you might have scored the axle at that spot and needing to replace that as well.