The power top on my 1969 Parisienne is sporadic. What gives?

Asked by Jan 17, 2015 at 09:38 PM about the Pontiac Parisienne

The top will go up and down in fits and spurts.  It goes and  then stops and I have to press the control button again to make it go. I never operate the top away from home in case it gets stuck half-way up or down.  What needs to be done?

36,065

Take a multimeter and start checking circuit continuity, starting with the switch. Check all the moving parts (motor included) for bent linkages or stripped threads. You have an old car so some service on the top can be expected.

6,095

With the age of the car, I would suspect the linkage used to fold the top up and down may be binding slightly and is calling for some lubrication. Also, this binding may be just enough to cause the motor to quit. Sounds like some TLC and lubricant is in store and, possibly, the actuator motor.