what GM vehicles D" shaped steering column shaft?

20

Asked by Jul 31, 2013 at 07:45 PM about the Chevrolet C/K 10

I discovered this GREAT website yesterday and figured I'd give it a try. Within 30 minutes I had some GREAT answers too. Now I'm going to see if I can go a little less expensive, if possible.  I'm in the process of putting a tilt wheel in my 72  c10.  I got a van column which is what was supposed to work.   Well my lower column is 1" splined shaft and my new upper shaft is 3/4 "D" shaped (known as DD I understand) I got to thinking,(read dangerous) perhaps I can find the lower half of this type column and it would be less expensive than the coupling offered by Summit Racing. The lower half which is original to the truck is 18 inches long and is now 3" too short in addition to being the wrong shape.  I'd like to know what other vehicles might use the 3/4 D shape and is about 21 inches long.  It wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to weld an extension to it but if I didn't have to that would be Primo. Thanks to the guys and or gals who gave me the great info yesterday too.

6,835

You can not weld to the steering column shaft as the heat would cause detriment to the plastic button which allows the "crush collar" to collapse when you get into an accident, but not collapse when you hit the wheel inadvertently such as a steering wheel change. The shorter column length is made up by using the "vibration dampening u-joint" and that is why I mentioned it. Another thing to look at, is make sure you see what difference there is between the "original column dash bracket" and the "tilt column dash bracket". You might find you need to use the "original column dash bracket" with the tilt column and it will fit closer at the bottom. I know the parts are "expensive" but don't scrimp on safety, scrimp on the paint job if you have too.

20

gotcha I'll get the vibration dampening u joint ordered tomorrow am. I thought since I would be welding down on the intermediate shaft it would be OK. I had no idea that the vibration dampening one would add 3 inches. Sounds good. You are right about the original dash bracket one that came with the new tilt part would have the wheel down 6 inches below the dash's old attachment point. I've muddled and stumbled on this thing long enough. It's good to find a place I can go and get some good direction. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. Ken AKA Chebby Guy PS I'll put in a pic when I get her closer to done.

6,835

Looking forward to seeing it whether it done or in stages, so post away !