Remote Start won't turn the heated seats on in my 2012 Cadillac CTS

130

Asked by Feb 09, 2013 at 07:21 AM about the Cadillac CTS

The car has been to the dealership and they have no idea, yet the manual specifically states: "In cold weather the windshied defroster and/or rear window defogger automatically turn on.  If the vehicle has heated seats, they will also turn on."  A friend with a 12 SRX is having the same problem with his heated seats AND the rear window defogger and the dealership (different one) told that's just the way Cadillac Rolls?  There's got to be a fix for this and I'm really concerned about the fact that 2 dealerships don't even know what is!  Any ideas?

Yes. It is not cold enough for this to engage.

130

I don't know if you're familiar with just how cold it's recently been in Alberta, but I can assure you that it's definitely cold enough.

in that case, testing of the heating element will find it open-that is to say defective, if the fuse is still okay- Just the driver or passenger seats? Your grease monkey can test whether it has continuity. My theory is that with high mileage, integrety of the element has been comprimized, but this theory goes to hell if the passenger side is defective as well. There is nothing wrong with testing the continuity of the heating elements...will decide our next course of action.

130

Hi Bob, the vehicle has about 1700 miles on it. Neither the driver or passenger seat will heat during a remote start. When I asked the service mgr at the dealership if it had something to do with the thermostat, he said no. I will ask him about the continuity of the heating elements though.

...whoa, it NEVER worked? all we can do is check continuity, then check switch and power to it....this won't get away from us now....hot on the trail....(so to speak)~

130

Both seats heat up when they're manually turned on. We might have noticed the problem sooner, if we drove it more often. Oh, and a friend received the same response I did, when he had his 2012 SRX. Hot on the trail.....I like that

1,605

Are you in the correct settings menu? The correct way to set the heated seats to activate with the remote start is: Settings->Vehicle->Remote Lock/Unlock/Start. Set it to AUTO. Also, know that the seat heater light do NOT illuminate (but are ON) when they are activated by the Remote start.

130

I'll have to wait until tomorrow to check out the settings. Hopefully this'll do the trick and maybe I can pass your info along to a certified GM Dealership - because they still claim this is normal. Thank you

Easy answer. Tell the dealer that if they can't fix it to give you a new one that WORKS.

130

@Joseph - I like your answer but, funny thing is - the dealerships (2 of them) don't think this is a problem.

1,605

Hopefully, the settings change will do the trick!

Tell them to tell that to your lawyer .. . then give them her/his card or phone number. Oh, and if your dealer didn't check the settings the first time you mentioned your difficulty then YOU call your attorney!

130

Hi All - just wanted to give you an update on the heated seats. Seems there really IS a problem after all. The service dept left the car outside overnight and used the remote start to warm the car up. As previously reported - the seats DON'T TURN ON. So, they're currently in the process of addressing the problem.

spuck~

You mean they are doing the job they were supposed to do in the first place? Surprise, surprise ... NOT!

130

I honestly don't know what the heck they're doing, but the 2013 CTS loaner has the same problem....

wear snow pants or a snowmobile suit. That'll go over big at your next board meeting.

130

Well, I finally got the DEFINITIVE ANSWER from GM the other day. For anyone who sprang for heated seats in their CTS - contact GM and request a pair of heavy weights (covered rocks, I believe) to be used when you wish to have your seats heat up to a decent temperature during a remote start. Just put the weights on the seat, when you leave the vehicle and the sensors will notice and VOILA - your seats will be as toasty as the rest of the interior when you get in!

130

@Joseph - I am serious (about the heated seats). According to GM, there's no weight in the seat, therefore the sensor thinks nobody is sitting there - hence - no heat. I kid you not. To bad there's no lemon laws in Canada!

I have STS, And my dealer says its not cold enough, has to be 20 degrees, mine has never worked on remote start, and I find it hard to believe that they only work if it below 20, that Bull****. High roller car, come on, What the Problem

98,205

That sounds like some GM excellence right there. What do you do with your color coordinated, covered rocks when you're driving? Toss them in the back seat so they can float around the cabin during a roll over accident?

130

Sitting in the car and ROTFLMAO - along with my colour coordinated rocks...... Yes tenspeed, it's sad but true. One thing I heard, but don't know if it's true is, when an aftermarket remote starter is installed, either the installers change the settings or the starter itself is wired to acknowledge that the seats should warm up to a decent temperature. So the next time - if there is a next time, I'll either forego the heated seats or the factory remote start. One thing I know for sure - I'd DEFINITELY NOT spring for another one of those tremendously huge sunroofs with the cheesy rollerblind!