any help on a conversion

5

Asked by Feb 23, 2009 at 07:00 AM about the Datsun 260Z

im lookin at doing a gtr 260z convert can any on help me with this

35

New GTR or RB26DETT GTR? There's a car in Japan that had the entire RB26DETT AWD drivetrain swapped into a S30 chassis but I heard that it handles very badly and was mainly done for wow factor. If I was to do a AWD set up in a S30 I would rather got for a KA24 with FWD transaxles. Lock up the final drive in the transaxle and make it a 1:1 ratio, mount it longitudinally in the engine bay (preferably with a the engine towards the driver side, it's been a long time since I've looked in a FWD engine bay so I don't know which side the front is on), have a driveshaft go from the rear of the transaxle to the diff in the rear and the on the front put in a shaft going from the front of the transaxle to a front diff with a VLSD between the two. The CG will be probably be raised slightly but it wouldn't be near as nose-heavy as a RB26DETT AWD layout would be. Lots of custom work either way you go. You can get an idea of what you need when you think about it, but you won't know exactly what needs to be done until you have the parts in front of you. Personally I think any S30 needs to stay RWD. I'm planning on doing a 13B-REW swap to lower the CG and put more weight behind the front axle and less weight over the front axle. Before I decided on the 13B I was contemplating an EJ25 but to get it as low as the 13B it would need to be swapped to a dry-sump because the EJ oil pan is so tall. The factory 13B oil pan is short and has good baffles in it to handle G-forces so it would be less modifications to get it low and plus the 13B is more compact so it would be easier to package. A 5.0L Ford is a good swap for a S30 because it's a decent displacement V8 with big aftermarket and is lighter than the LS-series and way lighter than the early SBCs. One thing I would love to do is to get a 280Z 2+2, Datsun 510, or 240SX and put an EJ25 in the pack with the back of the AWD transaxle plugged and using the front diff of the transaxle to drive the rear tires so it would be a rear biased, mid engine, RWD car.