seat belt laws for historic midgets

Asked by Oct 21, 2014 at 11:08 AM about the MG Midget

Do I have to install seat belts in my midget if there were none in it originaly?

143,275

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/dec/12/autos/hy-wheels12 have a look b\"Because the car was manufactured before the 1964 federal law requiring factory-installed seat belts, no safety restraints are required. Under the law, owners of classic cars are not required to install safety belts or shoulder harnesses if they were not original equipment on the vehicles. BUT does not exempt children, the Federal infant/child law for restraints and car seats still apply

143,275

Now that's Federal Law. Some States MAYBE have their own that differ, check with the DMV and/or DOT of your State to be absolutely sure. I Googled it and there are dozens of pages for individual States and without going through all 51 (I know ..including DC) and found none that require them for pre -1964, bit still remind you about car seats for kids

4,495

And now the REAL answer... Is your life important to you? You don't have air bags and your only hope in an accident would be seatbelts. Regardless of the law in your state or Federal, If you care about the driver and passenger, INSTALL THEM!