Will a big block chevy engine fit in a 94-95 camaro? Where can i find headers and engine mounts?

Asked by Aug 20, 2010 at 04:00 PM about the 1994 Chevrolet Camaro

5

any thing is possible. i would not see why it wouldnt

6,675

im not sure if it will or not. my question is why would you go that route? theres so many mods available for the lt1 and easy engine swaps with small blocks that going with a big block to me just doesnt make sense.

55

A big block will NOT fit in a 4th gen camaro. Chevy shot themselves in the foot on that when they moved the engine back. A big block in those cars would require cutting the firewall, cutting the windshield channel, and some major reinforcement. Unless your drag racing the car, its not worth all the trouble, as awesome as it would be, its not practical.

95

A BBC will fit in a fourth gen with modification. Best to go with a after market k member with brackets for a big block.

585

have you guys ever seen the clearence between the headers and the wheel wells on the lt1? lol you would need to do a lot of fabricating, itd be tighter than a 3rd gen

20

Ok, as far as I know, you can drop a LT1 in with no issues. With a little work(really not much) you can get a LS2 in it as well. The 93-02 Camaro came with a couple of different flavors over the years, but each engine is still just a 350. It will even fit on the k-member. The downside is you will need a new transmission and rear end. I have a 94 V6 and I am looking at the swap myself.

100

I have done several of these swaps, yes a little work on the fire wall is needed but not so much a novice couldn't do it. a new K member is recommended but not "needed" the weight difference is about 205 lbs. between an LT1 and a 454 so a suspension upgrade is needed, there is a small issue with hood clearance which is usually solved with a 3 to 3.5 inch hood cowl or scoop of your choice. The distributor will sit back a ways, and the exhaust is close but will work, I would suggest building your own huggers. Jeggs has engine mounts for this swap and most any small block tranny can be made to work. (you may need a mild shift kit) You will want to tighten up that ass end a bit with beefy upgrades unless your going to play nice. remember... Be patient, take your time and everything will be fine. If you run a carb there is an adaptor that bolts to it where your throttle position sensor an tbi would go so your computer wont throw trouble codes that is sold by Summit. Cheers. Rat Rod Kehl here is a vid of one with the bonnet off. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AqV2FMxZQs

5

hey guys i have an 89 silverado with a 350 small block in it is it an easy swap to replace it with an lt1 or is it work plz explain

70

Aaron is incorrect a Big Block will fit very nicely in a Gen 4 Camaro. Use a tubular K-Member from a company like Spohn or BMR. Tilt the radiator vertically, and mount it under the edge of the upper tie bar, and you'll gain almost 5". You can fabricate a flate plate if you want to move the engine forward a few inches. Use an Offset Air Cleaner, and a MSD Distributor with a Crab Cap, and there won't be any need to trim the cowl, or firewall. Use a short water pump and an Ultimate Cooling Fan from Speedway Motors. You can use LS headers for the Gen 4 and weld BBC flanges on them.

55

The big block will fit. It's easy(Ier) and not too expencive if you replace the front cross member and install a curry 9" ford with Corvette Disk brakes. I put a used Richmond Gear five speed with under drive first and direct fifth with a 2.57/1 rear gear. I put a used all aluminum Ramjet 572 crate motor in my 1997 Z-28 coupe'. Custom exhaust with four cats, two under each front seat, from the JY and a large turbo muffler from a diesel truck. They put a new street cam and low compression 10-1 pistons for pump gas, when they freshened the motor. I drive it on the street from 1 April to 30 Oct and in as many local sporting events as I can manage. Road Racing, the salt flats in August and autocross, but not many drag races, unless the grand kids are here to visit.

All this is new to me ... I'm the lucky owner of a gen 4 camaro that I won on eBay....I won for 5.50. Yes u read correct ... Cannot wait till I have enough money to put a engine bk in it and everything else it came without... It came with no running gear wheels axles etc .... I managed to move it and it sits peaceful in my garden until the day work can commence ... It was the lt1 v8... What would everyone say I should put back in it ? Just its hard very pricey and I'm based in UK

Faboloso1987 I have the engine out of mine i have the lt1 the wiring harness and transmission it went in the mid to low 13s I went to a 850 horsepower BBC what a job. Shoot me an offer I need to get it out of my garage and I will ship it scottcooper889@gmail.com