95 chevy cavalier

10

Asked by Feb 23, 2017 at 09:17 PM about the 1995 Chevrolet Cavalier

So I'm trying to get my grandmas car running but it has
bout a quarter tank of fuel and has sat for two yrs I try and
turn the key it sounds like it wants to start but it won't turn
over. I'm thinking there is condensation in the fuel tank
and I'm gunna have to syphon it out, but I'm not sure. So
tonight I bought some motor treatment to put in the fuel
and let it set for the night...hoping that will help.  Could I
get some suggestions on what to do

74,525

Drain the tank and put fresh fuel in it and hope the rest of the fuel system is not gummed up.

10

So should I not put that motor treatment in

74,525

Put the treatment in the new gas.

10

Right on thank you

17,885

The gas we have if you live in any city with regulations and it city limits most have restrictions on the fuel sold in it to contain a small amount of ethanol which gums up fast if sitting stagnant. 90+% chance the fuel you have in it is a ethanol blend, If look inside the tank, it may need a clean out and lines too possible then a filter change, need a repair manual and follow the procedures to do so.

10

How do I look inside the fuel tank

17,885

When you Remove tank to drain it by removing the Fuel sending unit and look inside. Look for any rust, sludge. May should also test the pump. While you have already turned it on, Did you hear the fuel pump prime. Did you spray starter fluid in the intake to see if it turns over then. My fear is that the old fuel has gone bad and is now in the pump, filter, lines, injectors gummed up, the only way to fix it then is to clean tank, replace pump & filter. Either disconnect the fuel lines and use compressed air to blow out and use cleaner or replace lines then same for fuel rail then have all injectors cleaned, put it all back together. So It is not starting we know the fuel is old and most likely is a blend of ethanol which gums up so its best to pull the tank and look if its cleans & all fluid no gunk then confirm pump is good, change the fuel filter, put it back together add gas and fuel injection cleaner, confirm spark, power to coils, all fuses good ect. I personally would pull the spark plugs to see the condition and clean if need be. Have a new air filter ready. Check all the vacuum hoses. Check all the electrical connections, clean battery terminal, Replace corroded battery terminals. Be ready to change the oil & Oil filter if it does run fine. Look at youtube for how to test for power at coils, wires, plugs and checking the plugs if good or not or just replace them but first I would try to get it will run before dumping money in it. Since you have been trying to crank I do not think it would it to go ahead and spray in some starter fluid down the intake breather to see if it will spin over on its own,if it does the turn your attention to the fuel system as we say above.