Why does my 1998 Chevy Malibu. Click when I turn right

Lisa Bigheadman

Asked by Mar 08, 2015 at 12:34 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Malibu

you have a bad cv axle. Its the one on the passenger side I believe.

Giulio Moro

The drive shaft has 2 CV joints. The inner CV joint and the outer CV joint. The inner CV couples to the transmission while the outer couples to the wheel hub assembly. Its typical for the outside CV joint to go bad, rarely the inner CV joint, but I've seen both go bad on poorly maintained vehicles, as well as vehicles poorly or not repaired after being in an accident. Never, ever apply much power when your steering is fully rotated in either direction as your at the extreme turning and stress points of any CV joint. Always apply power slowly and then straighten up. Save yourself some time and hassle and buy a new/rebuild/reman CV joint, a tube of grease, a new CV joint boot and clamp, and maybe a new washer, nut and cotter pin and then take yours apart. This way you have everything to do the job before the car is being worked on. Be very careful to mark exactly where the bolts lineup on the bottom of the MacPherson strut before taking them off to get the driveshaft off. Then when you reassemble everything, have those bolts aligned back up with the original position so your alignment will not be too far off. Test it in your driveway or alley and then have the alignment done as quickly as possible. Bad alignment will very quickly turn a $250 good tire into a bad tire much faster than you might think.

you can buy the whole axle for under a hundred dollars its a lot easier and quicker to change. also its not as messy. and you don't have to worry which cv joint is bad.

Giulio Moro

I'd usually agree that it can save time and money in some situations, but sometimes the entire complete driveshaft may not be in stock for a few days, or you want to save money and learn a few things while repairing your vehicle at the same time. For some vehicles the entire driveshaft can be very expensive or a special order item, like this 17 year old vehicle, but the CV joints should be much more easily available at just about any car parts store. If you have the time to do it yourself then just replace the worn cv joint. If you have the money then replace the entire driveshaft. And if you have no time and lots of money just take it to any repair shop and let them do it all for you. It's a real experience doing the work yourself so you clearly understand how it needs to be done, how to do it properly, how long it takes, and how to fix just about any vehicle cv joint in the future if you're ever in a bind.

The part store near me don't have any cv joints for that vehicle. they only have the complete axle which is they have two of them. one is 61.99 the other one is 71.99 both with lifetime warranties. I've seen people that didn't now what they were doing put the joints and axle together then a mile down the road it comes apart when they make the first turn.

The 71.99 one is new not a reman and it is in stock.

Giulio Moro

Sounds like the cheaper one is the shorter one and the more expensive one is the longer one. Just checkout some online videos or repair guides carefully, follow them and you should be fine. Never be impatient.