Why would my 2002 3.1 V6 Chevy Malibu click once but won't start

Asked by Jul 22, 2015 at 12:36 AM about the 2002 Chevrolet Malibu Base

Yesterday I went to go start my car and it hesitated like the battery was going out but it
started so I then turned off the car and turned it back on again; and it fired right up so I
thought nothing of it….but when my husband when to go to pick a friend up for work at his
friends house 10 miles from our place; it wouldn't start for him after he had turned off the
ignition. It again started acting like a weak battery; but all the lights and window
mechanisms remained working fine; and even the windshield wipers worked fine….but
when he would turn the car into the start position it would make a clicking sound. and
then it quit until he checked the starter and removed oil from it; and tapped it to see if that
would start the malibu..this didn't work; so our 2002 chevy malibu remains clicking but
won't turn over; do you have any suggestions; could it be battery, starter, or alternator, or
something else; what do you think

I would focus on a possible solenoid issue. The starter is only a gear, your solenoid is the switch that throws the starter into action... Good luck

Best Answer Mark helpful

Would the starter solenoid just quit like that though without any warning

Yes, quite common actually.

ALWAYS check the obvious first. The battery, is if fully charged, what is it's at rest voltage, did you have it tested? What does the battery voltage do when trying to start the engine? Have you tried to jump start it? The battery cables, is there any corrosion at the battery or at the starter? The starter solenoid, is it switching battery voltage to the starter? The starter, is it bad? Don't just throw parts at if, figure out what is wrong. The very first thing I would do is clean the battery and starter cable connections, then onto checking the battery.

i cleaned the connections of the battery; I tested the battery and it shows a normal amp. I then located the clicking sound to the starter and then also tested the starter to see if it was getting juice from the battery which it it; but It only makes on click when you turn the key ignition into the starting position; so I'm guessing it would be the starter right?….any way we'll see because I picked up a starter at a recking yard today; hope this solves my problem

It was the starter; thank you everyone for your responses! I truly appreciate it; for all the input helped! Thanks

Good job, I am glad you got it fixed and appreciate posting the fix here.