Stalling 2000 cavalier

Asked by Feb 04, 2012 at 08:16 AM about the 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier

I drive my wife's 200 Cavalier to and from work and over the last two months it has developed
A stall issue. It first started with the ocaisional miss and would continue as if nothing had
happened. Over time it would get more often and more pronounced, it would stall at idle and
at highway speed. It does run better when the weather is dry but if it's raining,  or very damp
outside, it will stall. The last straw came when it needed to be towed when it quit and would
not restart.

Now after leaving it with my mechanic for two weeks and various "repairs", he pronounced it
"fixed". I picked it up today. It was raining and, well.. it quit again!. Same thing all over
again,SIGH!.

Anyone got some usable info or similar experiences?

1,305

Have you checked or replaced the HT leads ? It also sound like there's a problem with the coil pack or electronic distributor. One thing you could try is to spray the HT leads and coil pack with WD40 to eliminate any water intrusion.

Darius, HT leads? don't know those and I think what you call the electronic distributor is called the ignition module here?, do I have this right?. The ignition module has just been replaced as have the plugs and two other sensors that I can't exactly recall the names of. One of the coil packs was replaced around 30,000 miles ago and the other is original on the 2000 year, 170,000 mile car. I'lll try the wd40 trick later. Thanks, R