Does the 2000 Cavalier have a Timing Belt or Chain?

Asked by Aug 22, 2009 at 06:47 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier

My daughter just bought a 2000 Cavalier Coupe with 59,000 miles on it. I was wondering about the timing belt and was told by the used car dealer that the 2000 Cavalier has a Timing Chain.

Is this true?

305

Well the dealership knows best. If there was a belt they would love to charge you for its replacement. A chain lasts very long. You might need to replace the chain tensioner around 100k, but dont worry about that, there are plenty of other maintenance items that will need attention.

165

The cavaliers came with timing chains, i owned a 2001 and i was a mechanic for 6 years. most import cars like hondas came with timing belts. timing chains are known to last alot longer

685

definitely has a timing CHAIN.. mainly ur japanese cars: nissan toyota honda have the timing belts.. my cavalier has a timing chain.

5

I think it has a chain like mosy of the other guys imports have belts. I help out at a shop.

75

ur cavi has both! timing chain is for ur camshaft connected to a sprocket on one piece and a pulley on the other, which the BELT drives. a camshaft opens and closes both intake/exhaust valves to keep the fuel and air combustion at the same ratio. the chain is used by the help of the belt or timing belt to cause this to happen. it works counterclockwise in motion like any other engine. that used car dealer does not know anything about what he said to u. he was just trying to make a sale. used to work for acura and i did the same thing using the same concept, just to sell a car used or new, to pay MY bills.

75

I pretty sure you have a Timing chain, I know for fact you do if you have an LD9 (2.4 liter motor) but just to warn that the LD9( and the 2.2 ohv i believe) are interference motors, if the timing chain snaps, slips, etc.. the motor its toast. but this really isnt anything to worry about at 59k, especially with a chain

145

chain

145

no thats the stupidest thing i've heard yet there is a serprntine belt that drives your accesseries, it's on the outside of the motor easy to see and change. There is a chain used for timing its connected to the water pump, intake and exhaust cams, and the crankshaft, its inside the case on the side if the motor, not easy to change. I had the 2200, have the 2.3LD, and the 2.4 LD9. There is another chain that dives the balance shafts and oil pump on the Quad 4 motors 2.3L/2.4L

10

Deffinately a chain but be careful they are no fun

70

Neil is wrong - there is only a chain to drive the cams ,that in turn operate the valves. The only belt on a Cavalier is on the outside - to drive your accessories - [alternator ,power -steering ,etc.]

Hi I'm trying to set my timing chain back up on 05 Chevy cavalier but it only has one black mark were do I put it on the 2:00 intake or 5:00 at the bottom also is there a color diagram to see