I have a 1986 cutlass with a small 350 in that is 60 over what i wanted to know what part combination of part i can add to may motor to get a hp rating of 500hp? I'm a diy person but this is my first

Asked by Apr 02, 2015 at 11:23 PM about the 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

4,465

You can't get there from here. Particularly if your 350 is a 2 bolt main block which it probably is. The very first thing you need is a 4 bolt main block for this project. Getting 500 HP from a small block is do- able but it takes more than bolting on some parts. That kind of horsepower will cause many stock internal parts to weaken and fail unless the entire engine is addressed as a package. And it takes money, tons of money. My advice is to do your homework first. Figure out what you want to build, then find a second engine and make that your project. When its built, swap it into your car and keep your old engine as a spare to put back in when your new one inevitably breaks and you need to pull it out to repair it. That way you can keep driving your car throughout the project. Of course if the car is not your daily driver the down time may not be an issue. There's tons of books an info online on the subject. Your project requires a clear game plan though or it will never get done, or bankrupt you, or both. Good luck though. With the proper planning it can be a lot of fun and the results can be very rewarding, and you'll learn a lot.

Thanks munron do u have any suggestions far as book or websites

4,465

Search for Chevy/GM hot rodding forums. They can be a wealth of information. A lot of performance parts manufacturers have useful info on their websites. There used to be a couple of good "hot rodding your small block Chevy" type books sold at auto parts stores. They are usually displayed along with shop manuals. You might even try your public library.

28,065

first of all you dont need a 4 bolt main...second you can get 500 hp out of it.....but it would be better to srart with a stroker kit.... big air in,big air out..

Kelly thanks for replying when u say big air in u meaning a big block id so that out of the question at this time i would like to work with what i have.. small block 60 over.. what can i do with this and it a vertec motor as well.

4,465

Thanks Kelly. Perhaps I stand corrected although I'd still be a bit leery about pouring tons of money into a 2 bolt engine. Not saying it hasn't been done successfully, just saying it seems a bit risky to me. The stroker kit is an excellent option though. Nice looking engine by the way. Maybe a list of parts and mods you did to it would be helpful to our engine building friend. Lee - no, by big air Kelly is referring to the displacement of the engine. A stroker kit, which is mainly a different crank and rods will raise the displacement of the engine without boring it further causing it to move more air through it. A typical small block stroker kit will move a 350 to 383 if I'm not mistaken, and in your case with the .60 overbore I would think you'd be pushing around 400 Cu In.

Thanks munron for the break down u would b the second person to tell me with the 60 over i would be pushing around 400 i was hole i could get some help to see if i could get it to do 500.. n like u said im a bit if e on throwing a lot of money into my first diy engine project. But at the same time my ear r open to all that have do it or something about chevy motor.. trying to learn as i go.. doing a lot of listening n research be making any big move at this time i have just broke the motor down and doing more research. Any help is appreciated