excessive oil consumtion 85 307

Asked by Sep 18, 2010 at 06:01 PM about the 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

I just bought a 85 cutlass supreme with the 307 motor with 48000 miles. the car is in super shape plus the low miles. the downfall is that it uses oil some how. It smokes bad at first then it will get better then all of a sudden it gets bad again. it will spit oil out for a bit if it has sat for some time and smoke bad then it quits. i just pulled off the valve cover and it looks good the seals look good and the drains are clear. it will start up quick and run real good and i got 18 mpgs with it in the 160 miles that i drove it and in that time it used a jug of oil up. the spark plugs are brown but dry and have never fould out. the car runs really good but it just smokes. i also put some of that nosmoke stuff in the oil and it made it worse. And ideas????????

15

hows it do when you just let it idle? try pouring oil in as it idles and check everything again when its running

sounds like you got a broken oil ring.

9,130

I would check you pcv valve to make sure it isn't clogged.

doesnt smoke at idle and if it does its right after i rev it up for a wile and then it will smoke some at idle but not all the time. the pcv valve is new. I cant belive that it would need rings at its mileage, it runs too good no hesatation or misfireing starts up better that my newer car.