What can cause oil to shoot into the carburetor?

15

Asked by Apr 17, 2013 at 10:58 AM about the 1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

My 1980 Cutlass Supreme, equipped with the original V6 with 77,6xx original miles, has oil in the carburetor... I had an oil change about 300 miles ago (two months ago), it is now black, thick, and low... Gave one quart to it... My engine light also comes on, but it goes off when accelerating... As soon as I press the brake it comes back on... What can cause oil in the carb and my check engine light to come on as it does?

PCV system~~ It draws air from crankcase and has a supply to crankcase from the air filter for the fresh air. If the PCV is not valve working, blowby, pushing air in to crankcase and no vacuum from PCV the crankcase can actually get pressurized, and that can happen oil comes up supply hose backward

227,945

Bad valve seals will cause this issue. Are the spark plugs fouled? Pull each one to find out, I'd also do a compression check of each cylinder while your at it. Are you prepared to do some engine work on a 33 year old car? As to the check engine light, you will need to read the codes to determine why it's popping on, we'd only be guess at this point.

Listen to Tom...strongly recommended to do that..

94,855

I don't think a 1980 vehicle had a check engine light. That was before computers and fuel injection. It could have one of the early "trouble" lights (low oil pressure, overheating, or charging system problems).

15

Thank you all so much! Recently, the PCV system has been replaced as well as the valve cover gaskets. I'll check the spark plugs and see if they are fouled... A full tune-up was done when I got my oil changed... I'll keep you all posted! My 1980 has the lights on the dash for engine, generator, and seat belt... I don't have the temperature and oil gauges though... Thanks again!!

No body is explaining what makes the engine light to come on, where does the power come from and what makes the light go off when car is running.