What are Common Problems with 1974 Eldorados?

BigFish19
0

Asked by Feb 10, 2010 at 02:10 AM about the 1974 Cadillac Eldorado

I am looking at buying at buying at Caddy and I dig the style of 74 Eldorados. I a little hesitant on buying a car,
just to have it die on me. Are there certain problems I should watch out for with this model? Any
engine/transmission choices I should avoid? I'm fairly mechanically inclined and have the means to replace head
gaskets and mount tires my self or with my friends, but rebuilding an engine or tranny and most electrical work is
beyond my level of expertise.

Øyvind Fenn
55

Just buy it. Buy an Eldorado from USA in good condition. You have to pay for it, but it is worth it.

Benjamin Stanton
75

Only problem to look out for is it being a 36 year old car. Other than that, these things are built like tanks. All came with the 500 cid Cadillac big block, and, IIRC TH400 trans. A bulletproof combo if there ever was one. Overall very well build car, just keep the age in mind, and you should be fine.

JRT
65

My Eldorado 74 drives like a dream and it still has most of the original parts. Only problem is that it takes up most of my two car garage!! I may have to sell my car for financial reasons, so if you have not purchased one let me know. I live in north Texas.

bushwack
20

i just bought a 74 convertable caddy $ 11,000 has 31,000 miles. Not sure if i got a good deal or not . But nice car

These are great running cars, I agree that the drivetrain is bullet- proof. Just a few things to consider when looking at one of these cars: The convertible top is what is know as a " sissor top" design. They are complex and cost $1500 to $2000 to repair and recover. Make sure to take to some with exspeariance with this type of top ( also used on all full- sized GM cars 1971-1976). Other common problems are minor, but can add up are: cracked right-side exhaust manifold, climate control a/c controller, bumper fillers cracking ( repros are available in ABS), wood grain wheel insert flakes out ( hard to find), cv joints( make sharp turns in parking lot and listen for clicking), door panels crack as well. Over- all, these are great cars and I have owned many. I love them.

djlowes48
60

Bought new Bumper fillers for my 74 Cadillac Eldorado..Any one know how difficult the installatin is Just wonderin--Thanks

Johnny Loud II
65

The ride in my 1974 Eldorado is amazing, handles well for a big car. Just remember you get what you pay for.

colnajoe
0

I have a 74 vert in dynasty red and I love it! Its a boat and does not turn on a dime, but it is a laxnd yacht. Top was 1300 to replace, bumper fillers 650+200 for paint, and they new alignments often. Parts, either nos or replica parts are everywhere. Get a shop manual, 50-60 bucks on ebay. Use it once, pays for itself. You will love this car!

crosley61
0

I just bought a 74 Eldorado for $5250.00. She has a little problem overheating and the brake calipers stick. Everything else is cosmetic! Is it true eldoradoes go through brake calipers every year or so?