Why am I losing Radiator Fluid when there is no leaks to be found?

Asked by Jan 19, 2015 at 02:32 PM about the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt

I just got my car back from the getting the Radiator Check for leaks after noticing
Radiator Fluid smell coming out of my Air Vents when turning on my car.  My exhaust
seems to come out more heavily then normal as well. The Mechanic can't find nothing
wrong but I know there is and They Suggested that the heating core might be bad. (but
if it was it should of been leaking as well or the front window would be fogging up.) and
would cost about $1000 to replace.  I lose my Radiator fluid every 3 to 4 days. and its
going to hurt my wallet if i keep buying...

11,160

The smell is typical bad heater core, but if you are losing that much fluid you might want to do a combustion leak test. the kit is about 40 bucks. It sniffs the coolant system for combustion gasses. It will tell you if you have a bad head gasket.

Well A head gasket isn't hard to replace...I am worried about the Heating core....How does the Combustion leak test work?

11,160

it uses a test fluid that you use a vac pump to pull air from the radiator or coolant reservoir through. it is a colored fluid and if it changes color then you have combustion gasses in the coolant. that means the head gasket is bad. I dont know much about Chevy cobalt, but I would think that a heater core would be easier than a head gasket! But with these modern vehicles, you never know.

Had someone put a new radiator in is it supposed to be lose and now i am loseing transmisdipn fluid the lines look good they put orings in but still leaking