2004 Aveo Why when the timing belt breaks it does so much damage, the car was running fine on the highway all at once it dies I coasted onto the shoulder.

100

Asked by Nov 21, 2011 at 02:57 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Aveo

Driving on the highway the car suddenly died, when on the shoulder I depressed clutch pedal turned key..nothing. The GMC shop were I had it towed phoned me and said the belt had failed and then told me I would need a new head  etc, this is going to add up to $4-5ooo  does this sound right- No noise no warning died

525

The timing belt is vital to engine life. There is a suggested interval to have these belts changed due to wear usually in the 80,000 plus. It requires some work since it is inside the engine. At that time usually the water pump, belts, tensioners, etc. are also changed. Basically, your motor self destructed and you are looking at a new engine for your car. Timing belts fail for a lot of reasons but proper servicing of the oil system with quality oil at regular intervals is vital for this belt. Also the cooling sytem needs to be maintained and serviced. This all related to temperature and internal friction of the engine. Sorry for your troubles and good luck.

1,515

valves drop down from the cylinder head and the piston comes up and mashes(bends) the valves.

20,075

For the cost of replacement of heads at $4,000, check to see if a new motor is the best way to go. Crate motors for your car are not that expensive. Timing belts do not last long, and are a big chunk of change to replace, but far less then as you found out, for a new engine. Between 50 to 70 thousand miles is when you need to think of changing a timing belt. You are not the first one this has happened to, nor will you be the last. There is no warring of when it will go. Some people have gone over 200 thousand miles without changing it, but is is a gamble. Wit a light car such as you have, think, change my tires, change my timing belt.

1,055

your best thing to do is put another engine in it

30

I did not know that the timing belt ran in oil, there are no oil seals around the timing belt cover.

20,075

There normally is a seal or gasket around the timing belt cover. If is is a metal chain, it needs to be lubed. Rubber belts, not so, and there is a seal on the crankshaft and camshaft.

20

dont know what car your working on but your mistaken the timing belt does not run through the oil its on the outside and it stay dry and most the time the reason for timing belt failure is because of timing tensioner is a poor design