the repair shop put 2 bottles of lucas oil additive in my 2006 range rover hse now I have a loud knocking in my engine.

Asked by Oct 07, 2013 at 09:20 PM about the 2006 Land Rover Range Rover

I had my oil changed and asked for an additive to be added due to the age of my car. The mechanic reccomended adding 2 bottles of Lucas engine break-in oil additive to my car. about 2 hours later i began to hear knocking in my engine. When i returned to the shop i was told i would need a new engine. can you tell me if 2 bottles was to much additive to put in the engine

Based on the photos in the article from'd have to say that 2 bottles of this gunk is overkill. It just may well have increased the viscosity of the oil TOO much and caused some problems (copy and paste this entire link to open it up):

I would find yourself a nother machanic 2 bottles is enough for 4 engines. You may ahve run a striaght 90 weight gear lube in it

Really Ronc...maybe use 15/40 but geez that mechanic just wanted to get your money and get rid of you. Modern oils do not need additives! A 2006 is not OLD! He ruined your engine with that crap.

Pasted directly from that site: "I thought it would help this oil to lubricate at startups but instead, it created more problems than it solved." end quote. It is the same as overfilling you engine with oil..the crankshaft dips in to the oil ..its not supposed to to that. and the crankshaft whips the motor oil in to a foam like a blender and does not get picked up by oil pump, it's just air and foam in crankcase

Change oil with recomended oil rating. Do not add any junk to it. It doesnt do any good to engine, the only good thing comes out of all this is manufacturers of oil additives making money. You didnt specify how many miles you have.?

Okay guys I read all your responses and none of you touched on the important factor. The idiot mechanic used ENGINE BREAK IN ADDITIVE which is absolutely not what you want to use in a newer roller motor that doesnt even require near that much zinc. He should have used oil stabilizer, and apparently they cant even read the bottle because you only use one 1qt bottle as part of one full oil change. Your oil was very thick, something dainty engines absolutely do not like. Also guy above Lucas is an anti foaming agent, the fact that your crank is splashing in oil means you have too much oil in your oil pan..