Looking at buying a 1983 Porsche 944 N/A and would like some advice

35

Asked by Jan 27, 2015 at 01:53 PM about the 1983 Porsche 944

I have a chance to buy a '83 944 for $600.  It has 54000 kms on the odometer. The body
is clean. But it doesn't start. I have been told that it is a relay or possibly the fuel pump.  
There are no records on the vehicle that I can see. The interior has the normal issues that
have been so well discussed on forums (cracks in the dash, moonroof leaks, etc..). I
have always loved this look and would like a project car to work on with my kids but fear
that I may have to put A LOT of cash into the car before it can be enjoyed. I already own
a 2001 Audi A6 Avant so I'm familiar with the price of parts. I don't really trust the guys
that are selling it. Even though they have a decent rep. For repairing VW/Audi's and being
fair. Please help me make a decision.

22,955

Well, you already own an Audi, so you should be used to the punishment- but the 944 is a LOT worse- you already answered your own question: "I may have to put a LOT of cash into the car..." and they are not THAT enjoyable, really- unless you enjoy looking at cars sitting dead in your driveway-

1,810

I still enjoy my 83 every time I get behind the wheel, even though my 911 is my favorite. I've worked on Audi's, and the 944 is a breeze to work on (except the turbo models). There is a relay called the DME relay that controls the fuel pump when the ignition is turned to the START position. No much cost to replace and it's the first thing I would check other than the obvious stuff in a no start situation. Timing belt replacement is a must if your unsure of the last change. It is not a hard process with the correct tensioner tool, other wise it's a shop job. You'll also need an inexpensive flywheel lock. The 944 in my track and autocross opinion, is probably one of the best handling cars up until the appearance of the Miata. Find a reliable Porsche race specialist in your area to check the car out if your serious about buying it. Good Luck!

Best Answer Mark helpful
35

Thank you Smitty22. I'm going to take the plunge on this one. The body is really solid and the motor does turn over. I have already purchased the DME relay and hope to get it before the weekend to see if it starts. I'm not too sure how long it has sat so I will change everything the oil, fuel before getting it on the road.