Can I find out the history of this car? How many were made and exact ownership on a specific Lemans?

35

Asked by Sep 19, 2007 at 01:07 PM about the 1973 Pontiac Le Mans

We bought a 1973 Pontiac Lemans. Would like to know if possible to trace history of ownership of this car?
Would also like to find out more about LeMams in gereal: How many were made, cost, options available.
A 1973 LeMans was my husbands first car.

135

For ownership history, try entering the VIN at http://www.lemoncheck.com/ or carfax.com ... the site will tell you if there is a database match, and then you have an option to buy the report. A VIN history often includes transfer of ownership detail. For car specs, try magazines and websites for enthusiasts such as: http://www.pontiacenthusiast.com/ (magazine) http://www.poci.org/ (Oakland Club) and these sites often link to other sites.

3,205

there is a site called pontiac historical service . you send them the VIN and $65 they send you back a package with the order form from the factory with everything the car was ordered with . options ,trim,production numbers engine codes, just about everything. phs-online.com

68,435

You can't carfax a vehicle older than a 1981 model. This is because beginning 1981 vehicles started using 17 character VINs (vehicle identification number). Allied Vaughn handles GM's archived vehicle files. If they have your year listed on their website the cost is $50.00 to get a build sheet or other info. Not sure if 1973 is available but the website will tell you. As far as finding out who owned your car before you, that may be nearly impossible. Good luck in your search. HTH. - Jim

who said anything about carfax? phs is for classic pontiacs , i've used them myself for my GTO & my LeMans . it does't tell you who owned the vehicle just all the options the car was ordered with. including engine & trannys. right down to the hubcaps.

68,435

The first poster mentioned carfax. I've also used PHS many years ago as well. Allied Vaughn handles GM's archived vehicle files now. Check out their website.

oh yeah, that just sounds funny to think a 47 yr old car would be in carfax. I never heard of allied vaughn, i'll have to check that out. what's their web address? do you still have the classic pontiac?

68,435

Allied Vaughn's web address is www.gmmediaarchives.com. They handle all GM divisions. Some of their records are more extensive, like Cadillac, for example. I was even able to get a copy of the built sheet for a '67 Fleetwood that I had inspected back in 2010 as well as a copy of the factory to dealer invoice for my '93 Caprice that I bought brand new. Yes I still have my classic Pontiac. It's a '70 Catalina Wagon. Model number 25236, which is the 6 passenger version. I bought it back in 1996. It's a great car. Runs like a champ. Is PHS still around? I got my factory to dealer invoice through them (PHS) back in '97. -Jim

oh wow thats a big car, my neighbor had one back in the 70s. I have to check that website out , very interesting . yes phs is still around only now they charge $65 instead of $35 that i paid for my 65 GTO & 65 LeMans paper work.

68,435

Yeah I'm a big car guy. Always liked the full sized models. When I was a kid my parents had a '65 Catalina 2dr then later a '72 LeMans 2dr hardtop. That's good to know that PHS is still around. It's always nice to have multiple sources for information. Especially for an antique or classic car.