1987 Firebird 5.0 carb engine dying at throttle

185

Asked by Jul 05, 2012 at 08:47 AM about the 1987 Pontiac Firebird

Hey guys/girls!

One question. Have 5.0 L 4BBl Quadrajet carb engine and it's dying or almost dying at the first seconds when I push accelerator pedal.
If i push it realy slow then it kinda dies after 1-2 seconds, if push it at medium speed, it dies at exact time when I push pedal, but if I push it "to the floor" most time everything is fine and car doesn't die. the carb is refurbished 2 weeks ago, new spark plugs & wires, new rotor and cap. Carb isn't adjusted - could it be air/fuel mixture problem? When car is standing RPM jumps up and down and sometimes when driving at idle speed RPM jumps up 200 more and then goes normal.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Haralds

250,645

When replacing a carb you have to make sure to set it up properly. The float levels are adjusted, air/fuel mixture is properly set, and set the idle and fast-idle.

250,645

also check all linkage and for vacuum leaks, did you hook up all the hoses up correctly?

19,035

Tom said it. Sounds like vacuum leak. Carbs do need adjustments for a quadrajet you can adjust idle air mixture which will help and adjust the idle screw to a proper idle.

185

I didn't do anything myself. Everything was made by a carb master in service, so I didn't check after him. Will do that tomorrow. Thanks for advices! Will keep updated. Cheers!

185

Hey people! So finally there is some light at the end of the tunnel.. Went with the car to germany from my place. The car died just before the final point but I made it. Then some 8 people started to look at the carb and problems. So the problem was - there was to many fuel in carb and when I accelerated carb couldn't handle the fuel capacity. And the faul is in the mixture solenoid - rich mixture, low mixture and air/fuel mixture screws are a complete mess and are not adjusted as tey should be. Need to do that and it should run again as it should! Hope this helps somebody! Cheers!

1,635

Time to get your money back from that Carb "Master."