i had a 1985 nissan 300zx given to me 2 days ago. the car sit for four years .

20

Asked by Jun 04, 2012 at 10:54 PM about the 1985 Nissan 300ZX

I can't decide if it's worth keeping. So far the car
started just fine but the left lowbeam doesnt work or
reverse lights or horn. Have replaced lights and fuses.
These are problems ihave just began to find. Any
thoughts

12,035

Anytime a vehicle sits for a length of time it is going to have issues. Four years is a very long time. I would have a trusted person look closely at the car. Pay particular attention to the undercarriage ie., fuel lines, break lines, gas tank etc.

695

if it is in condition of a restoration, it would be appreciated by collectors and enthusiasts. it is worth something in the right hands. check the hoses also.

20

the 300zx series of cars have been very reliable cars over the years.i purchased a 1986 300zx from a women off of ebay about 4 years ago.it had 90,000 miles on it when i purchased it and now 4 years later has 130,000 with no problems other than routine maintanance.these cars are built like tanks...

I just got through,doing the same with an 86 for my son..Remove,clean,sand contact points,on all chassis ground points..That will take care of your electrical issues..Yes,the car is worth keeping-My son,has driven it for a month,now,and LOVES it!!! It sat outside,behind a barn,for 4 years,before we towed it home...

20

Wow, that response helps a lot. I also wanted this car for my son. So far, the motor runs beautifully. I have bled the breaks, changed spark plugs, new air filter, changed oil, etc. and put some used tires on for now. The reverse lights didn't work but I found the back up light switch at the transmission was cut in half. So far, the only problem I can't figure out is the drivers side low beam light. Both lights work on bright, only the passenger side works on dim. I have installed a new light, checked relays, fuses, the wires seem ok but I don't know much about wiring. Any ideas on that?

20

found something new. took out the radio and a red wire is cut. wonder if it has anything to do with low beam not working on drivers side.

12,035

If you found a cut wire you would be safe to splice it back together. Being red could mean positive side. You don't want it jumping around under radio shorting out.

85

They are very good cars and certainly worth fixing, regardless of collector value- they are great to drive, and parts are available and pretty common. enjoy it.

30

Outstanding vehicle. I have owned 9 nissan Z cars, from 1982 280zx->1989 300ZX every year. All were 2+2 some automatic, most stick shift. Put over 200,000 on each, no major repairs. Biggest maint is a timing belt and tensioner, every 65-70k miles. never even replaced a water pump. did my own Clutch (with son's help). My son is still* using my 1989 5 speed stick 2+2

20

I am on my #4 300ZX (with only 1 wrecked beyond fixing). They are sturdy and require the basics in maint: oil change, the timing/tesoner and keeping check of all the fluids. I am still driving my 1985er...and she keeps on keepin on! Rollin...rollin...rollin!