misubishi spyder eclipse 2007

10

Asked by Nov 01, 2014 at 08:19 PM about the 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder

Service Engine light has come on.  The car has less than 30K miles on it and I get routine
oil changes.  What else could be wrong?

19,860

Quite a bit. The service engine soon light can come on for about 400 different codes. Go to a local Autozone, they will scan it for free. Most likely a o2 sensor, some sort of emissions code, or an EVAP code. None of those will make your car run bad but will not pass emissions inspection, if your city has one.

10

Thank you. There is an Autozone close by so I will call tomorrow to see when they can scan it.

19,860

Cool. You don't need to call and make an appointment.

10

Thanks again!

100

Has the recal been done on the catalytic converters? You can also get a obd 2 code reader off amazon or eBay to check codes your self . They are like $12+ depending on what you get . Just means your car is polluting most times though . Odds are clogged cats or 02 sensor . I'd also check the spark plugs. While unlikely ( especially given cars milage) it's still good idea to check. Does the car have any modifications done? There's several that can also trigger that code.

10

Thank you, but the car is 2007 and doesn't show any codes. I took it to the AutoZone today and they ran their diagnostics and that said it was the gas cap (?!?!?!?). Having had a VW that used to do the same thing I had already done the "three click" thing. The guy at AutoZone had me do it again but told me that the "check engine" light wouldn't go off overnight. I went and filled up the tank, redid the gas cap and will see if the light goes off tomorrow. No modifications to the car and with the mileage what it is, I would be really surprised if it is the plugs. Thank you for responding - you know how frustrating this is thinking that the engine might just seize up or drop out onto the hwy! Oh, it is mostly "in town" driving.

19,860

Ok its almost never a gas cap. Its probably a vent valve or a charcoal canister. Neither will cause any problems with the way it runs. So you don't have to worry about the engine falling out. It won't pass emissions is all. Get it looked at by a REPUTABLE mechanic to get the light fixed and turned off.

10

Thank you. Yep, now all I have to do is find a REPUTABLE mechanic - lol. Not the dealership. Thanks again!

19,860

Ask around. Talk to people you know and work with. There are a few good mechanics you can trust out there. Good luck, glad I could help.

10

Will do. You have been really helpful.