I would like to put a more powerful engine in my 87 cabrio, any suggestions

Asked by May 06, 2012 at 12:14 AM about the 1987 Volkswagen Cabriolet

I have a GTX jetta 16v engine, can I use that in it?

4,565

If you are referring to a GLX engine, I believe that's a VR6...major work to fit that. I would recommend a 2.0 ABA swap...there are some reasonable performance mods you can make to that engine for a reliable 150hp and the swap is not too laborious. You could go 1.8T or 2.0T but those are exponentially more expensive to do.

2,845

if you refer to the 16v engine its a 4 cilinder engine, yes, it fits. some issues with the mounts but its worth the job. i have an 1984 cabrio myself with AGG (european engine) with a megasquirt and have 120hp with the engine stock