1983 jeep wagoneer won't turn over

Asked by Jan 16, 2014 at 02:55 PM about the 1983 Jeep Wagoneer

I replaced the starter and silynoid, also replaced ignition coil battery is good cap and rotor
look good..any ideas please?

21,305

Neutral safety switch is bad. Try jamming it up into park and see if it cranks. Or move it around in neutral to see if it will.

Ok so I tried that and still nothing but a "clunk" sound but no cranking. Thank you for the advice. Ugh

21,305

It is still the neutral safety switch on the transmission bad.

Remove and clean and reinstall in your opinion? Or buy a new one? Thanks again!

21,305

Buy a new one. Once they go bad they're gone.

Okay, I looked at the Internet about them, no special tools etc.? Located on the transmission? $13.99 @ OReilly.

21,305

Yes on transmission but make sure it is the neutral safety switch for your make/model.

Thank you, after further testing we replaced the ignition pickup and cleaned all spark plugs and with some effort she fired up.But now she will randomly stall while driving but a quick shift to neutral and turn of the key fires back up and drives away... carb adjustment perhaps?

21,305

yes or a vacuum leak.

So my jeep stalled yesterday and when I restarted it the starter kept cranking over and over. Then when I stopped it and tried to start I have nothing. Maybe starter relay failure?

Crank shaft sensor