What years did the Jeep wagoneer come in 2wd?

20

Asked by Oct 28, 2014 at 02:59 PM about the 1979 Jeep Wagoneer

I am looking at a 1979 wagoneer with the 360 v8 and auto tranny but the person who owns it doesnt know if it is 2wd or 4wd. I know they had quadratrac but am unsure of how to tell on this model year. The owner doesnt know anything about it or how to tell.

146,195

Yes it is 4X4. V8 360 ,quadratrac... still in AMC days. Fact is it seems all 1979 Wagoneers are 4X4 You will probably be interested in this site, has a ton of information on the '79 Wagoneer: http://www.automobile-catalog.com/make/jeep/wagoneer_sj/wagoneer_sj_2/1979.html

20

Awesome. I wanted to know before i made the trip to view this vehicle. Thanks for you help.

146,195

For any vehicle with longutidal drive train, i.e. not sideways like nowadays cars, it has the belts if front, transmission behind on bell-housing. To tell if a vehicle is a 4X4 just look under for a driveshaft and 'pumpkin', or differential on front.

146,195

Quite welcome.

83,095

Ahh the good old days when a 4X4 was actually a 4X4. Even a Quadradrive unit can be retro fitted to regular 4X4

20

I have a working knowledge of the automotive world but in my research have seen several variations of four wheel drive controls, levers, switches, etc. in the wagoneer through the years and heard it was possible (not probable) That they came with 2wd. But anywho, with the probability that this one has 4wd, i believe i will make the trip to look at the wagoneer and probably purchase. Thanks for you help.

146,195

If it's not I will be very surprised

20

Ill let you know.