Buying a 87 Wagoneer

45

Asked by Aug 09, 2011 at 03:51 PM about the 1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

I am about to purchase a 1987 Grand Wagoneer. I know it need front floor pan work
and maybe a new carb. This is going to be more of a restore project and maybe even
a daily driver. Any info I may need to know or any advice on this vehicle? It's gonna
be a new adventure for me.

65

the rust will be the biggest problem, some body parts are hard to find if they need replaced, drivetrain parts are rather easy to get ahold of, bjsoffroad.com is a good place for parts, but there real reliable

45

Thanks for the info. As far as I know the front floor boards are the worst part of the body. I have to go look at it soon, my brother has had it for a year or two and it has just sat in his back yard.

45

Back window doesn't work... Any suggestions on fixes for that? I have to get it home soon so I can start on this thing!

3,035

you can get complete floorpans and many other body parts at bjsoffroad.com I have 9 GW and this place is and excellent source of parts, and you can actually talk to real people that can answer your questions with reasonable knowledge.

3,035

90% of the time the window wont work because of the close switch that makes sure the tail gate is closed before allowing the window to move. I have 9 GW and bypassed this switch on all of them. The switch is simply the small lever sticking out of the left side in the tailgate jam. Simply take the 2 wires on the back of the switch and connect them together with a but connector for a permanent fix.

I JUST PURCHASED A 87 WAGONEER I CANT SEEM TO GET THE REER WINDOW DOWN AND I GUESS THE DOOR WONT OPEN WITHOUT THE WINDOW DOWN. ANY RECOMENDATIONS THANKS PAUL

I don't know what area you are in, but I generally take my 1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer to Jeeps R Us in Laguna Hills, Ca. Very nice reliable people and very knowlegable too. ejt

This link gives very detailed instructions on how to fix. http://www.wagoneers.com/FSJ/tech/tailgate-REPAIR.html