my 1988 4.0 jeep cherokee wnt start

Asked by Jun 18, 2013 at 12:21 AM about the 1988 Jeep Cherokee

i bought it a new sarter a new fuel pump and a new fuel filter and it still wont start it made
my battery die on it

109,695

Won't start or won't crank?

8,635

sounds like crank sensor issue.

"made my battery die" My 88 Cherokee "makes" its battery die evertime I park it. I figure a short somewhere so I disconnect the negative terminal whenever I park for more the 30 minutes or so. Have a disconnect switch to install when I get time. Just figure old and a short somewhere that I haven't been able to track down. Easy to try - see if it helps you.

8,635

make sure the glove box light turns off. another trick, Disconnect one of the batt. terms. install a test light between the disconnected cable and the batt. post. If it is burning brite. You have a draw. Next thing to do is pull one fuse at a time, till light goes dim. What ever that circuit is , is where the draw is. You should first ck to see if the dome lamps are the draw. Leave this fuse pulled untill you are done with fuses. Oh be sure to put each fuse back in as you go, as to not mix them up. If not a fuse issue, next thing to unhook is the big cable on back of alternator. If it does di, alt. is bad. Hope this helps

Thank you for your help. I have actually removed the glove box light, all dome lights, pulled fuses, and replaced the alternator (twice as the first buy was no good). It still happens. The problem is it seems to be intermittent because sometimes when I reconnect the negative terminal it sparks but other times it does not. I just figured it might be a bare or almost bare wire on the frame somewhere. It isn't a big deal for me to unhook it all the time, besides makes it more diffcult and less attractive to theives :-) Someday I will get the disconnect switch installed. I do much appreciate all your help though.