How do I check the transmission fluid on a 5 speed 1983 dodge rampage

Asked by Jan 26, 2013 at 06:13 PM about the 1983 Dodge Rampage

365

running and in neutral

25

neutral or park. They are the same.

10

Nothing to do with what gear It's in or if it is running or not. There's a plug on the side of the case. Remove it and stick your finger in,the level should Be right. ALSO some manual trans at Chrysler have a dip stick inthe lower side of the case,makes it easy after you find it. But don't run the engine .

20

If this transmission is like the 4 speed (Manual trans) it uses Automatic transmission fluid . Jack up truck, remove front left wheel , You will see a filler plug on left side of trans., towards the top of trans , but on the side, remove plug, stick your finger in the hole, if you can feel the fluid or it runs out, you are ok . Remember it uses auto trans fluid ( I use Dextron,,others may work , I am not sure .I have use Dextron for years with no problem. Truck should be close to level to do it correctly . I have an 1984 and I have had it since it was 1 year old .