Speedometer Cable

Asked by Mar 09, 2013 at 10:45 AM about the 1987 Dodge Ramcharger

I have 2 pc speedometer cable...lower and upper hooked to possibly some kind of sensor?
Doesnt have cruise control...what is it and what does it do? What is most likly reason my
speedometer is not working.

well inside the little boxes is a transducer what senses speed. and the other one has a resolver...it's all digital--- Sure do miss the ole' unreliable cable interface. that was no-nonsense and did not rely on ducky-dodgey ones and zeroes.

you must check to make sure the speedo resolver and sender are getting power...I've recommended (tho not 'kosh to some) a 'wire piercer' test lead, that way you will not have to disconnect anything....a dabble of rtv will seal it up watertite after the tests-

3,190

1 undo the cable housings under the hood. 2 try to spin lower cable by hand if it spins it's broke if so you'll probably have to remove a thing where it goes into the side of the tranny to retrieve the broken piece. The cable when it spins will ware into the housing with time and causes it to go squirrely then snap. In wich case you need to replace both cable and housing. 3 the upper cable should spin by hand do that and have somebody watch for movement on the gauge. Then go from there.

20,565

and as they evolved ,right before your eyes

why a cable? why not just direct bolt-up. For example was lookin' for an accelerator cable on my MINI and no way jose, the pedal goes into a a pushrod into a box...no cables...no cables whatsoever!