slack steering

Asked by May 10, 2009 at 02:11 PM about the 1987 Dodge Ramcharger

87 ramcharger, 2wd, steering has become very loose. while driving it will get real loose and then feels like front end wanders and then becomes normal again.

95

On my old '79 there was a joint on the steering shaft just before it went into the steering box that was shot. Its easy to test and if it seems that loose you can feel it while driving you should be able to see the problem easily. If that is tight then maybe you have an issue inside the steering box itself. I know there is a way to adjust them but haven't ventured that far before. I would recommend finding some people who have older 4X4 trucks or ask some guys in garages or auto parts stores and get their opinions. Good Luck - Long live the RAMCHARGER!

10

I have an 83 its 4x4. with the same problem. there is a nut on the top of the steering box about 5/8 with a set screw thru it. crack the nut loose and turn down the screw. that should help. im not sure how much adjustment is there thou.