steering box dodge ramcharger

Asked by Mar 26, 2010 at 08:07 PM about the 1988 Dodge Ramcharger

I have a 1988 Dodge Ramcharger and am trying to locate a steering box.  Mechanics have installed "kits" on two different occasions but this has not alleviated the play in the steering.  Are steering boxes interchangable from older Ramchargers; i.e., 1985 - 1987?  

55

Check the steering coupler at the end of the steering shaft just befor the steering box, Reach in the wheel well on the front driver side,grab the shaft and gently turn it one way then the other,pay special attention to the lower coupler and look for play. If that is the problem the rebuild kit is about $25.

ive replaced everything in that area ,what else can i do

Replaced the seals on the input shaft and put two kits in the flexjoint. The joint that connects the steering wheel shaft to the steering box. Drilled and added a grease nipple on the flexjoint housing so I could keep a squirt of grease in it. I would appreciate any suggestion as to where I can purchase a new PS box input shaft. Both input shaft seal installations failed in a very short period of time. I suspect the input shaft is worn so the seal can no longer do its job. Urine poor design...The seal and joint are open to everything the wheel can throw at it. Dirt, dust, water, mud, sand, salt,.you name it...