I have a 1983 dodge ramcharger. I have put a new battery and 2 new alternators on. Some thing is killing my battery. Could it be the voltage regulator?

20

Asked by Jul 04, 2013 at 03:16 PM about the 1983 Dodge Ramcharger

68,445

Get a 12 volt DC test light. Remove the positive battery cable. Connect one test light lead to the battery post and connect the other test light lead to the disconnected battery cable. Leave the ignition and interior lights off. Your test light will glow dimly because of parasitic draws from the computer and radio. This is normal. If your test light glows brightly you've got a problem. At the fuse box, begin removing and reinserting each fuse one by one until the test light goes out or very dim. When it does that's the circuit where the battery drain is. Inspect all components on that circuit for damaged wiring. Look for worn insulation, bare wires, corrosion, loose connections, misrouted wiring, etc. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer
20

I don't have a computer and my radio is on a toggle switch. Does this matter?

68,445

Ok, that actually makes this test easier. Be sure the toggle switch for the radio is off. Your test light should not glow at all then. If it does proceed as I explained above. The test light will glow as long as something is drawing power from the battery. HTH. -Jim

68,445

Oh and thank you for the best answer click too!

20

Thank you for your knowledge. I'll try this out. Many thanks!!!

68,445

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim

30

I have a 1985 Ramcharger that had a continual draw and I could not keep the battery charged. I used and ammeter and ended up finding a 9 volt battery under the dash behind the glove box that was corroded and shorting out between the positve and negative. The 9 volt battery was inside a small plastic box. I don't know what the battery is for, and I ended up removing it.