89' ram van starving for gas

Asked by Jul 27, 2013 at 08:34 AM about the 1989 Dodge Ram Van

I have an 89 dodge ram van with 318. For the past year I've been having problems it
won't go any faster than 25 miles per hour if I try to give it more gas you cut out and
die.  I don't even attempt to go uphill any more.  Clearly the engine is starving for fuel
the question is why?!?  I've dropped the gas tank twice and completely cleaned it, it's
plastic so there's definitely no rust. I removed the electric fuel pump that was in the
tank and added an inline one instead so I wouldn't have to drop the tank every time
there was a problem.  I've blown out the lines several times and I put a fuel filter before
and after the fuel pump in line.  It runs for couple of days but then the problems start all
over again. I've even tried bypassing the gas tank completely by using a new 5 gallon
gas can but that didn't help either. I have also disconnected the fuel line after the fuel
pump and just ran the pump.  Well, there is plenty of gas coming out the line.  So now
I'm out of ideas. What is next? Need some help.  Thanks a million .

83,125

This vehicle should be fuel injected, have you measured the fuel pressure? It is not an easy task going around the in tank fuel pump without modifying the pickup assembly. If not done correctly you will double your problems.

Yeah, fuel pressure is fine . But it's throttle body not quite fuel injection.

25

If it's anything like my '89 Dodge Ram Van B250 with the 318 it might be the emissions systems. I have an air pump with a faulty O2 sensor and it does the exact same thing yours does. I realize this question was posted nearly 2 years ago but I'm including this in case anyone else stumbles across this. I'm hoping just replacing the air pump (the one in front attached to the emissions systems under the hood) will fix the problem but as of this writing I haven't actually made that repair yet.