1984 Dodge Ram van

Asked by Sep 16, 2018 at 01:27 PM about the 1984 Dodge Ram Van

I just bought a conversion van with 66k original miles. Previous owner had two batteries charging off the alternator plus a gas generator. There are wires everywhere. They had extensive sound system, toilet, refrig, shower, stove, two AC systems, and so on. I'm taking basically everything out. The problem is the battery is draining somehow and usually (though not always) dead when I go to start it. It's hard to start and usually requires starter fluid. If I turn on the AC, the engine immediately kills. I can't drive it at night because the elec system can't keep up with the lights. There is such a mess of wires under the hood and going who knows where that I despair. How feasible is it to rip out all the wiring and just start over?

5,620

Very, takes a lot of time, patience and beer. If you're going to go with dual batteries install a battery isolator.

Thank you, but am just going to have the one battery. The beer, however, stays.