transmission weirdness

Asked by Dec 30, 2014 at 07:46 PM about the 1988 Dodge Ram 50 Pickup

well.. I just bought an 88 dodge d-50. the previous owner said the transmission was stuck in 4th.. but somehow he got it into 3rd and neutral. well.. my brother was messing with it and someting popped in the 2/4wheel drive lever and now it has access to all gears but no power to them. I drove it off the street into the driveway (in 3rd) so I know it runs (the engine is strong and it has a new fuel pump and battery) but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.. I assume it has some issue with the 4wheel transfer case or some linkage issues. any ideas?

655

Block the wheels so it don't roll over you. Get a friend to shift through the gears, ect... while your under the truck to check to see if things look like they are all in place. Automatic tranny?