car wont start when engaging the clutch

Asked by Feb 10, 2015 at 03:42 PM about the 1995 Saturn S-Series

Does that mean it starts without engaging the clutch?

you can push start it and it would run. but it order to crank it you have to turn the ignition switch and engage the clutch

Bob Beaman

Pushing on the clutch pedal actually disengages the clutch. So are you saying that when you depress the clutch pedal it won't start? If so the safety switch on the clutch pedal may be defective.

dex, what Bob and I are getting at is.. we may be a little off on the "engaged" / "disengaged" bit.. I'm not trying to insult you AT ALL - as I'm positive you understand the process but may just have the words backwards or that you mean "depressed" verses engaged ;) Not touching the clutch pedal is engaged (just as if you were driving down the road) and disengaged would be to the floor. So I had this happen on my festiva once. You can take a metal paper clip (or expose the wire on insulated ones), undo the connector on the clutch pedal safety switch, put each end of the paper clip into the connector that is wired into the wiring harness (not the switch itself). Start the car. If it works, then the switch is it. If it is the switch, you can honestly probably fix it yourself in a matter of minutes. As the plastic pin is depressed into the switch housing, a bar with a metal piece slides down from touching plastic (open circuit) to touching metal (closing the circuit - telling the car it is safe to start). Mine got a little off track and stopped touching so I had to bend it a bit to make it kind of a friction fit so it wouldn't move anymore. Anyway, go test it out, come on back and let us know whatcha got ;)