saturn 5 speed

140

Asked by Jul 27, 2008 at 10:22 AM about the 1995 Saturn S-Series

tranny is noisy  cant seem to find a dipstick . Iheard this year did not have one. where do i check oil and what type do i put in thanks chuck

30

standard 5 speed? why the hell would there be a dip stick? you have a burnt out gear, or a clutch problem if its making noise

140

hey jeff my 1990 honda accord has a dip stick to check the oil in the tranny and it is a 5 speed . there has got to be away to add oil to the tranny. All gears are working clutch seems fine its just making noise when you give it gas

90

ther be a dip sick for the trany fluid duh....

140

sorry i guess i was wrong this is my second car and im only 17 years old maby when i get as smart as you guys Ill make an ass out of some young kid too. thanks

140

Rion is an ahole duh

140

took saturn 5 speed to transmission shop. tech put the car up on the lift and the first thing he checked was the dipstick on the transaxle. imagine that. looks like you two guys have know idea what your talking about

7,995

I don't know the specific answer to your question, but here is some general advice... Usually a manual transmission will have two plugs, if your year did not have a dip stick then it is most likely this setup... A fill and a drain plug...If this setup is on your car, the fill plug will be on the side of your transaxle... most likely toward the rear of the car. If this is the case 99% of the time the tranny fluid should be even with the bottom of this plug hole when cold... (IE when you fill it, you fill it just till it starts to trickle out.) (I'm trying to remember if it was a Saturn or not, I have a picture in my head of an engine bay where there is a small plug/dip stick on top of the tranny near where it mates with the engine.) As to the what fluid, I can't say... My gut says 80W90 since that is a very common weight in trannies, but I've seen some that take special fluid, special additive, or even ATF +3, so the best thing to do is ask a dealership or check your manual so you don't screw something up... Sorry it's not very specific or helpful but seems you haven't gotten a clear answer yet... Hope this helps.

25

my 98 SC2 5-speed has a dipstick. Most cars if they dont have a dipstick have a drain and a check plug that would need to be removed from underneath the car.

35

Some of these had a dipstick made on to the bottom of the speedometer drive. If there is no visable check plug try pulling the speedo drive. I dont remeber which fluid it takes, alot of smaller trannies take ATF these days.

110

the dipstick is red and located under the back of the battery u cant miss it i have a 1995 saturn sl2 5speed 4door and i love it 40 mpg

1,485

Bravo way to bring back a thread from over 3 years ago.

10

wssp guys i have a 1999 saturn and i need 2 get a link 4 my 5speed gear shaft, what is a link

60

reljordan79 - go to saturnforum.com and find good, extensive advice. Might be the bushing/grommet that connects the trans cable to the shift lever.

60

Alex - the post just above yours was very helpful to me today. Thanks mrreyes_1313