service engine light is on

Asked by Feb 14, 2016 at 06:52 PM about the 2000 Saturn S-Series

Needs oil change and service engine

49,965

Then take it in for a oil change, they will reset the light.

3,345

The Service Engine Soon Light (SES) just came on in our little 1998 Saturn SL yesterday morning. The car is a one owner with 100,645 miles on her. I have done all maintenance and after replacing the radiator, coolant cap, thermostat, engine mounts, tensioner belt, as well as a full tune-up, I was fuming. Well it was just that. I pulled out my ol code reader, and what do you know, got an EVAP Code from the engine (meaning the gas cap is bad, or not sealing tightly). I went to my local auto parts store and picked one up for $12. Reset the codes, and bam! No SES light. I drove it to work and home today (about 40 miles round trip), no issues, no SES light . I would ask a few things though. -Does the car perform any differently since the light came on? Sluggish Acceleration, trouble starting? Is the Service Wrench Light on (Its a light right above the SES Light?). If it is, stop driving it and have it looked at. I would start with the Gas Cap and save yourself some money. Swing her on by Autozone and they usually will pull the codes for free. :) Best of Luck!