Clutch problem, can anyone help?

15

Asked by Jul 10, 2015 at 08:48 PM about the 2006 Kia Rio

Have 2006 Kia Rio that we were driving home from town going about 40mph when I went to shift in to gear then clutch petal went to the floor and came back up no problem, but couldn't shift in to any gear. So we got it to the drive and got it to stop and park it in first gear and shut the car off. Well we messed with it to get it in neutral and can start it that way but cant shift in to any gear. tried adding break fluid and still cant shift. But if the cars off and I put it in first gear it will start but cant shift out of first not even in to neutral. Can you tell me what could be wrong?

66,495

Will be bad clutch master cylinder,or the slave cylinder is bad.

15

Is there anything I could do without having to take it to the shop, and that wont cost a whole lot?

66,495

The master cylinder is not hard to change yourself,the slave cylinder is easy all so,if you have a little mechanic skills and a few tools,there are lots of videos on you tube to show you how to do it.

26,075

bleed the system first..and adjust...see how much movement you have down there..

66,495

Agree kelly,but if it leaked down,it will happen again,unless you fix the issue.

26,075

yes, but he asked what could be wrong...you would try and bleed that system before replacing either or.. if it gets better than he can rule out a collapsed pressure plate/throwout fork... then he asked if there was anything he could do..i should have said get under there and crack open the bleeder valve, take the lid of the clutch master ,fill it up,leave of lid and wait till there is a steady drip coming out of the bottom...if he has no help that is.. or get a stick/board/prop.to hold the pedal down in place than go under and open valve then close it than go up top again and release the pedal,push it down again,hold it down with the stick and repeat...but then he says... I went to shift in to gear then clutch petal went to the floor and came back up no problem.....but he didnt say it had felt any different (lack of resistance).. and yes,you are right ..if it has a leak down there,its going to be slave cylinder related..